Assisting Buyers, Sellers And Lenders At Every Stage Of Real Estate Transactions
After 60 years of working with buyers and sellers in commercial and residential real estate transactions, our legal team has learned a thing or two about how to successfully complete a real estate transaction. We recognize the kind of details and line items that can cause problems that less experienced real estate law attorneys miss. Our experience in real estate transactions, closings, and dealing with easements and restrictions is unparalleled in the Newburyport and the surrounding area.
Residential Real Estate Closings
For most buyers, the purchase of a home represents one of the most significant investments they will make. Many buyers and sellers do not realize that the offer to purchase that they sign may constitute a binding agreement under Massachusetts law, even though it may state that it is contingent upon the parties later signing a purchase and sale agreement. Buyers and sellers should have an attorney review these documents before signing.
The attorneys at Connolly & Connolly have experience in the review and preparation of the offer and purchase and sale agreement. Buyers need to be sure that they undertake a timely and thorough home inspection and that they are buying a property with a clear, record and marketable title. Sellers need to be careful that the disclosure statement that they provide to the real estate broker in connection with their listing agreement is accurate and does not contain any inaccuracies or misrepresentations. The disclosure statement and listing agreement are documents with significant legal consequences for the parties.
The attorneys at Connolly & Connolly are experienced in assisting buyers, sellers and lenders with every phase of a residential real estate transaction, from the initial listing, offer, purchase and sale agreement, due diligence process, title examination, preparation of the real estate settlement statement and other closing documents, to representation at the actual real estate closing.
Commercial Real Estate Transactions
The representation of a buyer, seller or lender in a commercial transaction involves the added complexity of ensuring that:
- The property may be used for its intended commercial purpose under zoning or that required zoning relief is obtained before closing
- All environmental issues are addressed, including hazardous waste review and cleanup
- All state and federal administrative agency review
- Licensing and permitting requirements are identified and obtained
- There is compliance with all applicable conservation, wetlands and other regulations
- The business parties to the transaction have due authority to act pursuant to their governance charters and that all requisite authorizations from shareholders, directors, members, managers or limited partners are obtained
- A cooperative working relationship is established with the planning office and building inspector of the community where the land is located
- All aspects of the structuring, review and documentation of the commercial loan transaction
The attorneys at Connolly & Connolly are experienced in handling commercial real estate transactions that involve multiunit residential and commercial leased space, housing developments, condominiums, marinas, restaurants, manufacturers, industrial uses, and general business, retail and professional uses.
Easements And Restrictions
Sometimes, as part of a residential or commercial real estate transaction, the parties are interested in preserving open space or a significant historical façade. It is often possible to achieve the mutual goals of the parties, and obtain favorable tax benefits, through the use of a conservation easement or restriction. The professional team at Connolly & Connolly has experience working with individuals, developers and nonprofit organizations, to preserve wetlands, farmland, open space or a historical building, while at the same time enabling responsible development, through conservation easements and restrictions.
Contact The Real Estate Transaction Lawyers At Connolly & Connolly
If you are thinking of buying or selling a home or property, put our 60 years of experience to work for you. Call Connolly & Connolly at 978-961-0047 or fill out our online contact form. We look forward to working with you.